Sunday, November 21, 2010

Yokomo YZ870C - all ready to race!

Finally my Yokomo YZ-870C is ready to run, finished up some final mods and also a body shell for the car.

Here's a shell that the used car came with. Gave it a good wash and trimmed up some of the cracked areas and it actually came out looking like a decent basher shell. I was told by a friend this looks like a "Eagle" shell from Parma. It looks like it was purpose made for this car given the way it fits with the under-tray.



I like the design of the shell very much although the paint on this one could have been a lot better. Funny thing is, "cab-forward" buggy designs were present even in the vintage era - though I must say the execution seems so much more aesthetically pleasing than the current crop of Bulldog and Punisher shells. lol


As I gave the car a once over I noticed quite a bit of slop in the suspension, particularly where the hingepins go through the bulkheads. I thought of machining some front and rear hingepin braces to take up some of the slop, but the wonderful guys at RC10talk.com suggested this solution - longer hingepins, a couple of balls and a turnbuckle. Nice!


Here's a pic of the car ready to run with lipo batts and a black can motor (requirement of our local vintage event). I also wussed out and changed the elegant stock bumper for a larger RPM one which offers more protection.


Okay so the nice basher shell comes off and here's the car with the Protech shell it's supposed to run - done up in the same paint that I run on almost all my race cars. I got this shell from Mr Lexan and I must say his work is very good - lexan seems to be of excellent quality and the body is well made with proper overspray film too.


Fresh paint, JC tires to fit 2.2" JConcept Caliber tires, RPM bumper, vintage AE gold shocks...


One more pic to go!


Drop me a comment if you like this restoration project.

3 comments:

  1. Love the way your YZ10 turned out! I'd run the stock body personally. The other one is not an eagle, though it does share some of the eagle design cues. Maybe it's a Dahms? I don't know if Dahms made a yoke body though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - someone has informed me that the shell is an Andy's Apache Warrior shell. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the paint job on protech 4. nice 870c runner there

    ReplyDelete